Five Lovely Songs

  • Fidelity - Regina Spektor
  • Next Year, Baby - Jamie Cullum
  • Chasing Pavements - Adele
  • Inside and Out - Feist
  • Can't Go Back Now - The Weepies

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Now that we're more than twelve hours into the new year, it's time to move onto the next important piece of business - my 27th birthday extravaganza.

From my eleventh birthday, when my mother left me behind with some friends while she and my brother headed to Japan to bury my grandfather, until I turned 25, celebrating my birthday wasn't anything I considered to be important. My mother insisted that it was simply a hassle that obligated me (her) to give my friends presents when they in turn had birthdays. I don't remember exactly what happened in 2007 that made it really important for me to have a party. It probably had something to do with Jen, who is bossy and insistent about celebrating everything. Either way, that birthday rocked and now I can't fathom not having a get together.

This year I inadvertently popularized the concept of a "birthday week," which wasn't intended to be as excessive and self-centered as it sounds. It was really just me wanting to secure birthday wishes from my improv class, which met on Monday, for my actual date of birth, which was a Thursday this year. Lo and behold, it turned into an explosion of Birthday Week wishes, and even led to a sweet, albeit short-lived, relationship with a still-special someone.

Anyway, I celebrated my 25th at Café Citron. I was giddy about a fledgling relationship with a cute boy, wearing a cute black dress with silver trim and polka dots, and surrounded by my fabulous friends. All I remember about the food is calamari and birthday cookies, which is enough for me. I stayed out late dancing to salsa and merengue. I did not make it to work the next day.



Twenty-six was celebrated at La Tasca in Chinatown. It was a less rowdy affair, again involving fabulous friends. Presents included an Intellivision controller and some videotape about a pretty princess, pilfered from someone's office.

after all that, I feel like I need to do it bigger and better this year. I admit that I started thinking about this a few weeks ago, and that I now have schemed up the perfect celebration.

1. Location. I dream of the lovely, modern Mexican tapas menu at Oyamel. Not only are the tiny dishes pretty and delectable, they serve beverages to die for. Their horchata is smooth and just slightly sweet, and their hot chocolate is rich and creamy. And above all, the gorgeous butterfly mobiles! So pretty.

2. People. My fabulous friends.

3. Dress. A gorgeous empire waist cocktail dress, textured tights, fantastic shoes.

4. Hair. As long as it behaves, I'm golden.

Alack, alas, this recession is really cramping my style. I have half a mind to just have a board game party at my miniscule studio apartment. Or not doing anything at all. Blarg. Merg.

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

When is your birthday? Are you a January Aquarian or a February Aquarian? Hopefully you celebrate it by going out because your plans sound fabulous. However, if money is a bit tight for people, so long as the right people are there, it's amazing how good a time can be had at home - you could always don your cocktail dress and go out for some drinks first, if only to be seen!